Saturday 13 September 2008

The Aftermath of Dragons Den

Hi, So sorry for a major update following our Dragons' DEn appearance anyway Dragons’ Den for us in one word; Whirlwind! And it still is in our Tiny Box Company office.

After securing investment from Peter Jones and Theo Paphitis it all started and I mean right when we were still on the TV! At 9:59pm (the show ends at 10pm) the phone was ringing with orders coming in.

Christian was on BBC 5 Live a few hours later and I am sure you have read/heard or saw one of us in some newspaper/radio and even TV shows in the week post our DD appearance !!! I have perfected my stuck up 'showbiz' air kiss; 'Dahlink!!'

Our website (www.tinyboxcompany.co.uk) took so many hits that we crashed our server, actually we not only crashed ours but also our hosts too!!
After securing more investment than we had asked for on the show we had initial meetings with Theo and Peter, they are lovely. We have taken on 4 members of staff and are currently in negotiations with a few very big high street names, fingers crossed they want to change to eco-friendly packaging and use us.

We are still searching for bigger premises as we are growing out of the three separate warehouses we have at the moment, as I write this I am literally pushing a pile of recycled bags off the keyboard!

Our philosophy remains the same even after our TV appearance; to only provide eco-friendly packaging and with no minimum order. The ‘no minimum order’ is important to us and really sets us apart from all other Packaging Companies. A lot of retail outlets still believe that ‘recycled’ is of inferior quality. It most definitely is not.

I was recognised in of all places my local post office by a girl who set me up on some kind of businessperson pedestal it was like I was some Rock God, so embarrassing! She told me that the clip, yes just our clip from Dragons’ Den, was being used by her University in her ‘How to be a Great Entrepreneur” course. I frantically tried to hide my embarrassment behind my post pile but the queue were having none of it, before long the entire queue were discussing recycling and even packaging!!

Amongst the influx of new orders and enquiries about our eco friendly packaging, transparent boxes and how many colours we do in our 100% recycled bags I am even answering business questions from people that don’t even want my boxes or bags. They just want business advice!

Anyway we here at the Tiny Box Company welcome your calls and enquiries about anything, so do get in touch for a chat. 01342 322333, we would prefer orders though!!

Peace Out,

Rachel Watkyn - Tiny Box Founder

No comments: